Thursday, February 19, 2015

Happy Lunar New Year


Thanks to all who offered me solidarity in my love for cement tiles.  But today, I really will move on.


with a celebration of the Chinese New Year.


As I am half Chinese, here is an aesthetic place that is at once


absolutely home for me.  AND a completely alien place.


As Eddie Huang, the irrepressible, prolific, accomplished, in-your-face Chinese-American food and entertainment celebrity has observed:


when he and I are in America, we are CHINESE.


and when we're in China, we're AMERICAN.


i.e., the shoes never quite fit.


Accordingly, our love for things Chinese can be similarly as painful......


as my love for cement tiles - torturously conflicted.


But as the old Chinese saying goes - "the falling leaves always return......


to their roots......"  

At least once a year, for New Year's Day.  So count me in guys.  Please send me lots of red good luck packets full of money if you are Chinese and I will make you "Ten Vegetables" if you are in the neighborhood and want to come by.

Gung Hee Fat Choy Everybody!!!!!



(most pictures above are from around the blog world, probably mostly via The Poetry of Material Things and pictures 3, 4, and 8 are mine)








5 comments:

  1. Très bonne année à toi. J'espère qu'elle sera très belle et très lumineuse... xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nous avons mangé des plats (soit disant...) chinois pour célébrer la nouvelle année ! Happy new year :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That first photo is my very favorite. I could happily live there. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. hee hee hee... happy chinese new year to you! n♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. great selecton of pics as usual ! Happy Chinese New Year and come over to Thailand, they have lovely ciment tiles too !

    ReplyDelete