Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Pale and Interesting Thursday



Wild strawberries
David Karp, LA Times


Now wherever have you seen anything that looked like this?  Do these look good to you?  Would you eat them?  I tried to match them in this post with something else.  But they are so pristine, so perfect, and so somewhat bizarre in their pallor that anything else looked like it was just playing!!!!  Next to them.  So here they are in all their solitary glory.

I would like to think that they could grace the most elegant of wedding luncheons to be consumed with champagne and sole, steamed turnips with some kind of daikon foam and finely sliced pink radishes alongside,  quenelles, poached chicken with a vanilla sauce, the palest of tagliatelle with white truffle sauce or.....and moving on to dessert,  angel food, vanilla cupcakes, meringues, blanc-mange (in Hawaii we call it almond float or haupia if it's with coconut) or for ANY kind of extra special event.  I'm imagining that they would taste just as good as regular strawberries.  And you wouldn't have to worry about stains on your all-white suite of furniture or your uber-white summer ensemble!  

Pale and Interesting Strawberries, link here to find out more about them.



10 comments:

  1. they're so lovely. true, you can't beat a ruby red berry, but some little creations would suit these brilliantly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. well, i have to admit that i would miss the red, though they are chic. taste and tell us how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow! I've never seen these before. They make me feel a little sad, like someone sucked the life out of them. But I can imagine they'd be an interesting addition to a display of some sort. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too pale for moi :(
    Gimme a good bright red berry or nuttin'

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, yes! They would be lovely at a wedding, wouldn't they? With champagne, just gorgeous! I will share them with my husband, he's a huge foodie and I'm sure will be interested!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so cool. I've never seen anything like this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. But how did they become white? Genetic engineering?? I'm not sure that genetically modified foods are that good for you. I'm just saying... since I left LA and moved to Paris and started eating organic, I've lost 65 pounds and never felt better. If you tried to serve a French person white strawberries, I think they'd totally flip out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the idea of this series of yours! These strawberries are visually wonderful, but I would be hesitant to eat them I think.

    ReplyDelete
  9. thanks everybody for weighing in on the glow-in-the-dark berries. and i think they are BRED to be that color. guess what? (surprise surprise!) I WOULD EAT THEM!

    ReplyDelete
  10. If you're doing Pale and interesting posts you could add me on it!! Well certainly the pale bit anyway.

    ReplyDelete