Saturday, October 24, 2009

Orchha - Village Walk



Orchha is easy to walk around in an afternoon.


You could visit the Palaces in the morning or the Chatturbhuj Temple.


There is a public garden and a market and a sort of open square leading to the palace that has the feel of a European college town with small relaxed cafes with tables outside.















The markings on the walls are not necessarily graffiti.  They were explained to us either as Diwali decoration or public health officials notations as to whether inhabitants of the dwellings had been treated for TB.  We were not in the position to tell the difference.



This notwithstanding, and I don't mean to be unkind, but my first impression of Orchha when we entered it was that it consisted of nothing but piles of rubble for a quarter of a mile or so.  This is very deceiving.  It retains the structure of what we would most readily identify as a quite intact small medieval town.  Most people had real homes, of masonry with proper roofs.  This is not always the case in India.


If you go to Orchha, be as gentle to it as it will be to you.

4 comments:

  1. This last photograph in particular is just spectacular. You couldn't have composed it more beautifully. I am dying to know about the circumstances of your trip to India- for how long were you there, and were you there making art or just traveling? My huz and I applied for grants to go to India next year so I'm morselizing each post on India with fascination and delight- AMAZING pictures! And such thoughtful musings...

    oh how I love opening your blog in the morning and seeing what wonders you've posted. xo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are rare pictures of India. As someone who has not been there, it is giving me a entirely new sense of what it is like. And your writing is GOOD. You're a multi talented gal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yup the last picture is knock-your-socks-off worthy...
    I didn't realize it was so close to Agra..I had to go map hunting.
    You really capture the spirit of the place...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello and thanks to all. Glad you enjoyed Orchha. It does tend to make people dreamy. Carol you're right it is close to Agra. We took the train up to Agra from nearby there, via Gwalior. Lily, I'm afraid our "passage" to India was fairly banal. But maybe next time I whip out India pics I will talk about women who inspired me in my v. young life to go to India. Why did you decide you want to go? And PLEASE DO! Find a way whether or not you get the grant. (Which I really hope you do.) It is changing so quickly. I never made it to China "before" and I think the moment has passed already to experience old China. So BASTA! (switching gears abruptly). Thanks all for stopping in, nice to hear from you on my "labor of love".

    ReplyDelete